PoetsQuill Message Board logo

PoetsQuill Message Board

» Go to PoetsQuill

Are you Afraid?

PoetsQuill Message Board » Comments and Suggestions » Are you Afraid?
Ben Grader

Total Posts: 60
Link to this post Reply To This
For heavens sake - are you folks afraid to post comments on others work?
I have looked at forums and found no comments posted although there have been 10 - 20 people who have looked at a posting.

If this site is to succeed we need to have comments on other folks work as well as posting our own.
Get of your backsides and think about others poems or prose and COMMENT then you will find maybe that people will comment on your work.
I think we should make a rule that you cannot post until you have commented on anothers work for each of one of your own you wish to post.
Let us get back to the friendly and sometimes mickey-taking site the original PQ was. PLEASE.
Born and bred a country yokel
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:22 pm Report this post to a moderator
Nate

Total Posts: 7
Link to this post Visit homepage for Nate Reply To This
It's the same on any site you go to; it always seems that there are at least ten times more views than replies. But, you're right; we should all work together to get this site back up again. I mean, most writing sites have terrible layouts (writing.com comes to mind) and I just can't stand to view them, whereas poetsquill is very clean and even somewhat enjoyable to view.
- Nate Caldwell
Webmaster of The Young Writers Society
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:43 pm Report this post to a moderator
Nate

Total Posts: 7
Link to this post Visit homepage for Nate Reply To This
Well, I just posted a topic about PQ on my writing site for young writers. There's 156 members there right now, a third of those being very active, so hopefully there will be a few more people who sign up at PQ soon.

To get this site active again, all that needs to be done is make a thread about it on a few forums. I did that with mine, and it's already a decent size even though it's only been open for two months now.
- Nate Caldwell
Webmaster of The Young Writers Society
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:57 pm Report this post to a moderator
Ben Grader

Thanks Nate, at last a reply. I fear that unless this site livens up it will wither away quietly from lack of either postings or comments, that will be a great shame.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:45 am Report this post to a moderator
Phil Team member

On top of the world

Total Posts: 87
Link to this post Visit homepage for Phil Send an AOL Instant Message to Phil Send an ICQ Instant Message to Phil Reply To This
I apologize for my lack of involvement ... I just got back to school after a month-long break, during which I ironically didn't accomplish anything (massive doses of boredom, mostly).
I had intended to work a little more on the site and on promoting it (and on my own writing), which I'll get to now, since I'm settled back into some semblance of a daily routine.
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:49 am Report this post to a moderator
MegLiz82

Total Posts: 6
Link to this post Send an AOL Instant Message to MegLiz82 Reply To This
I'm trying to break out of my comfort zone and post on others' pieces, but sometimes I just don't know what to say. But I'm with you all and I'd hate to see the site go under, even though I'm fairly new at this I really like the website and feel like it's a safe place to go to quietly show what I write to the world.

I'm also with Phil though on the whole school thing. Last semester of my senior year, 18 credit hours (20 is the max without special permission from an advisor) all courses for my major (no slacker PE classes) and working every other weekend. I'll miss my friends here at school but part of me can't wait for May!

Like you Phil, hopefully I'll get settled into a routine after this week (work schedule got all jumbled this week) and be posting more regularly.

Have a pleasant day/evening/night everyone!
Megan
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:23 am Report this post to a moderator
Ben Grader

Phil, no need to apolgise for your 'lack of involvement' you were the one who got it all going in the first place. The folks I was stirring at were the members who are not bothered to do anything at all.
Megliz82, you don't have to make comments of deep significance just to say you like about the work; or what puzzles you about a line etc.
When I first joined PQ - the first one - I posted a couple of things and I was then taken to task by the person in charge of that forum and it was - very politely - suggested that I should look at others work and make some comments on them.
Tentatively I started off, I soon found that looking seriously at folks poems made me see some of the faults in my own stuff.
It has a way of improving your work if you look closely at the work of others. I even got a bit of inspiration from phrases and lines of others poems to start a poem off of my own, expanding on their theme and crediting them with it. As follows.

Cyncity's Haiku
Raindrops freckle sand
Quick storm dances along shore,
Kicking waves on beach.

My additions: -

I walk scuffing my feet
leaving ripples on the virgin
sand-canvas which nature
has supplied for my work of art.

What shall I make?
I shuffle my feet
to create my art
yet realise it is in vain.

My priceless masterpiece
will disappear, smooth out
beneath the tide's relentless
eradication of my classic work

And yet the careless footmark
of a dinosaur, placed upon the soil
and now, firm set in stone
has lasted a millennium and more.

Ben Grader 2001

Cyncity I stole your Beach haiku. For my first three lines.
They impressed me and set my mind working.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:33 am Report this post to a moderator
Bluesy Socrateaser

Veteran Member

Total Posts: 225
Ben's right to say that this sites growth would have been more sure if all posts were commented on. Nate too, is correct in saying that this situation exists on other sites as well. However there is little you can do or should do about it past suggesting that it is the courteous thing to do. However, in terms of making it mandatory, I am in total disagreement. Beyond certain amiable rules of conduct, you shouldn't be forcing anything on anyone here or on any other site.
There's a big difference between encouraging and bull-whipping Ben. It's just as easy for people to go to another site to interact as it was for them to come here.
(Not to mention the added bells and whistles bigger money can buy)
...Just being Bluesy
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:46 am Report this post to a moderator
Lonny

Total Posts: 4
Link to this post Visit homepage for Lonny Reply To This
"Beyond certain amiable rules of conduct, you shouldn't be forcing anything on anyone here or on any other site".

I totally agree with you Bluesy Socrateaser. As the last person to have posted here (almost a year ago), should you return to view this post, take an extra moment to visit with me please. I'm Lonny, just toggle the www button at the top of my reply box.
Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:45 pm Report this post to a moderator
Bluesy Socrateaser

Veteran Member

Total Posts: 225
Thanks for taking note of my reply Lonny.
Regarding your invitation, the "www" click was totally fruitless. Perhaps what you had up and running, up and ran away.

...Best from Bluesy
...Just being Bluesy
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:49 am Report this post to a moderator
PoetsQuill Message Board » Comments and Suggestions
Sent To A Friend Printable Version